Evolution of Grimm

While Code Bandit is getting our Demo for Letter Quest ready, I thought that I would share the progression our hero Grimm has made. E:  Is what you’ll be seeing in the demo version. I felt he was lacking something. And with that in mind F was born. Once he’s completed and Code Bandit has him in game I’m sure you’ll all be very happy with him. A: This is the very first drawing I did of Grimm, more of a classic reaper, minus the jaw, I thought he looked less scary without it. B: Those following the blog will recognize him from a few short animation tests I did. I found...

read more

iOS 7 Support

Updated to the beta version of Air 3.9 SDK today and did a new build to attempt to fix the super-cool bug where users are presented with a dialog asking them to enable the microphone the first time a sound is played. Now that sure looks professional! The new SDK did fix the bug thankfully! Everything else seemed fine on iOS 6 and iOS 7 and then I tested bringing up Notification Center…crash. Then I attempted an in app purchase…crash. Then restoring purchases…crash. Then simply backgrounding the game by hitting the home button…crash. What gives? After scratching my...

read more

Early version of Android support!

I’ve been meaning to get things up and running on Android devices for a while. My friend Rudi loaned me his Nexus 7 tablet for the weekend (thanks bro!), so I figured it was time to get proper Android support going! This actually turned out to be fairly simple. We already had support for loading assets at 1x, 2x, 4x depending on device resolution. So it was just a matter of creating a new “platform type” of ANDROID, turning on Starling.handleLostContext (required for Android apps), and doing a few calculations to figure out what size of assets we should use. It’s not...

read more

1x, 2x, 4x, oh my!

Handling multiple devices and resolutions has been a part of development for many months now. It’s been working rather well, too. I’ve been using “Strategy 3: Smart Object Placement” as described in the Starling Manual for Multi-Resolution Development. Everything was looking and working great on all iOS devices, from the now-ancient iPhone 3GS at 480×320, to the retina iPhones at 960×640, the iPhone 5 at 1136×640, the iPads at 1024×768, and the retina iPads at 2048×1536. Whew! To support all of these devices, I naively started naming my images...

read more

Enemy Concepts

I was digging through some old files and found this. These are some of the very first sketches I did for Letter Quest.  The only thing that has really survived is the round ghost. Who knows, maybe these other guys will come back in another title. For anyone that is interested, I do all the art in Flash including the sketching, I just find it faster for me since I’ve been working with Flash daily for about 12 years, ever since the Macromedia days and Flash 4. Back to the frying pan Art...

read more